Ogden House & Gardens

The Ogden House is a typical mid-18th century farmhouse. The house, which escaped the burning of Fairfield by British forces during the American Revolution, provides a glimpse into the life of a family of the “middling sort.” Called “the new house” in a 1750 deed, this austere saltbox-style house was built for David Ogden at the time of his marriage to Jane Sturges. For the next 125 years it was home to the Ogden family in the farming and coastal shipping town of Fairfield. In 1974, Lillian Wadsworth donated the house to the Fairfield Historical Society. Family documents and inventories have been carefully examined to furnish the house appropriately with objects including textiles and fine pieces of furniture with Fairfield provenance. Although no longer surrounded by its original farmland or outbuildings, the Ogden House retains its beautiful situation overlooking Brown’s Brook in the fertile Mill River Valley. An 18th century-style kitchen garden behind the house is laid out symmetrically with raised beds. The garden features herbs typical of those used at the time, and is generously maintained by the Fairfield Garden Club, a member of the Garden Club of America. A bridge across the brook leads to a trail planted with native Connecticut wildflowers and shrubs. Ogden House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2008, Ogden House underwent extensive renovation to restore its original quality and make it sound for future generations. The restoration was financed in part by the state of Connecticut utilizing Community Investment Act, funds administered by the Connecticut Commission on Culture & Tourism. Tour guides tell stories of life at a different time while guests walk through its rooms, garden and natural surroundings.

Tour time: 1 hour



1520 Bronson Rd.
Fairfield, CT 06824
United States

Map & Directions