Hotchkiss-Fyler House Museum

Take a guided tour of this Queen Anne Victorian home (built 1900), furnished as it was when last occupied by Gertrude Hotchkiss in 1956.  Rooms feature impressive woodwork, stenciled walls, murals, ornamental plaster and parquet floors, as well as collections of fine and decorative arts.

Stepping into this residence is like stepping back in time.  The Fyler and Hotchkiss families come to life as tour guides provide visitors with stories about the residents, their home, and Torrington of yesteryear. The Hotchkiss-Fyler House Museum was commissioned by Torrington resident Orsamus R. Fyler in 1897 and upon its completion in 1900, Orsamus, his wife Mary, and their daughter and son-in-law Gertrude and Edward Hotchkiss moved into the home.  The residence remained in the family until the last occupant, Gertrude Fyler Hotchkiss, died in 1956 and bequeathed the property to the Torrington Historical Society. 

The Hotchkiss-Fyler House Museum is part of a three-building complex operated by the Torrington Historical Society.  Also on the site is the Torrington History Museum and the John H. Thompson Research Library.  See also Torrington History Museum.


192 Main St.
Torrington, CT 06790
United States

Map & Directions